Up at 4:30am, make coffee, drink coffee, look at the rain, wait for the news to come on at 5am to see if it's going to continue to rain. It stops raining. News confirms that it stopped raining. 68 degrees at 5am. Nice and warm and probably humid. Yeah Oct. in Texas. Eventually got going after two cups of coffee. Got down to Rogue and met up with the group.
Paul, Eric, Peter, Cindy the gang was there.
Easy warm-up run over to the track.
Drills. Our group is kind of lame at drills. Everybody just goes. But they are quick and then we are on to the workout.
This was a tough workout, I knew that going into it. Was looking forward to it.
From Ruth's email:
Quality WorkoutTexas 10K (intervals at 10K pace based on marathon goal time):
AdvancedSteve Sisson, founder of Rogue, did this workout at UT when he ran for the University. Run this workout at your current 10K pace based on your time trial. Groups will do this workout on the track after a warm up and drills. Run with people of a similar pace to help keep you motivated and on pace. Don't give up!
- 400 x 3/200 recovery
- 800/400 recovery
- 1600/800 recovery
- 800/400 recovery
- 400 x 3/200 recovery
Paul and I ran this workout together. Which was fun as we rarely run together. He's much faster than I. However he was still a bit sore and achy from his half Ironman triathlon that he did on Sunday. So I was happy to have him along for the run. Eric tried to run with us as well, but I kicked him in the butt and told him to go run his own times. His are a bit faster than mine and it's important to run these quality workouts at the paces they want you to. That way you get the most out of the workout.
We hit the splits pretty darn close on all of our laps. Which was great. I had to take a quick bathroom break during the 800 recovery after the 1600. So I just skipped one lap of the recovery.
Our last two 400's were our fastest 400's. Which felt good. Probably a bit too fast. But it felt good and was nice to be able to finish strong.
An easy easy cool down run back to Rogue with Cindy, Eric, Peter, and Paul. Good times.
Afterwards had a short chat with coach catching up on the last week of training. And then coffee with Eric and Paul at Progress.
Extremely pleased with the workout today. It was tough, I knew it was going to be tough, but ran it strong and felt good.
Another great day of running.
6 comments:
It must have been a good QW because I'm already tired and it's not even 5pm yet. Great run today!
right on man. it was a good QW. I'm tired too.
I agree - great workout! I checked my times - I ran the second half steadily faster than the first. Sweet!
Maybe I will stay in the AM group. :)
Do you think maybe you drink too much coffee?
At times, I try to keep it to a cup or two in the mornings. I've cut back on my post workout coffee a bit lately.
Post a Comment