Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thoughts on the run...

Did an easy 3 miles today at lunch. Felt good. A little excited, a little anxious. Nerves. The normal thoughts that go through your head when you are this close to the marathon.
Why am I doing this?
How far is a marathon? (much farther than this 3 mile run)
It's only Wednesday?

Finished the run off with a few drills and a few strides. That felt good.
Went to see Fluitt for the final tune up today. Hammy is good.

Time to start packing, putting final prep together, continue mental focus, relax.

Weather is still looking good for Houston. Should be in the 50's for most if not all of the morning.

A lot of thoughts go through your head during the taper.

I've thought a lot this week about the friends and coaches I've met. I am grateful for all who I've gotten the pleasure to know over the last few years. Some have become very close friends and terrific running partners. Others I know only from seeing them weekly at the long run. It is this community of running that keeps bringing me back. I love every minute of it. While I would still run and pursue my goals if I did not know them. I am a better person and runner for knowing them.

And as I think of these friends I am missing Jordan a little bit this week. We only knew you for such a short time. Gone, but not forgotten. God speed J-dawg.

I'm also thinking about all the miles I've run over the last 6-7 months. It's been a frickin' blast. Me and Eric meeting up every day at barton springs in the heat of the summer. Yes it is hot at 6am in the dark. Just not sunny hot. Those miles are paying dividends now. I'm glad we did them. It was hard getting used to being a morning runner. Had many a sleepy day of work. But it was worth it. Now I can't imagine not running in the morning. In fact today I went for my run at lunch, (so I could sleep in and get a little extra rest. which was nice), it was ok. But it wasn't great. And I just do not think I could wait all day long now to run in the evening. That just sounds crazy. I'm a morning runner. That's it.
The medium long runs we started doing this fall. Perhaps one of the biggest improvements to my running has been the addition of this run each week. Each week running 10 to 12 miles on a weekday I feel has greatly improved my endurance and fitness. It is a fantastic feeling to head home afterward and know you just put in a good run like that. And it's not your long run.
Consistency, my running has been hugely consistent since April of last year. The day to day, week to week, month to month consistent running has made me a better and fitter runner.

Since my last marathon, Feb. 15th, 2008 here in Austin I've now lost 20 lbs. That combined with the miles I have run this last year will greatly aid in my success in Houston.

Success, yes it will be success in Houston. I plan on rockin' it. I am feeling strong and confident. This race is mine to run. However, if it is not my day it will still be a success, as the journey has been rich and rewarding.

So that's a few thoughts on the run.....I'm sure there will be more later.

Run long...

1 comment:

Jess said...

it is all about the process...if you don't enjoy it...it is not worth it...

you will rock it no matter what...i'm rooting for you! you have done the work...enjoy the day