Training for
September rolled around and it was now time to start up our marathon training with Rogue. Eric, Cindy, and I all joined the same Tuesday morning group. Our coach Scott was new to us. We quickly got to know Scott and were pleased to have another great coach. Scott is easy going, knowledgeable about running and training, and a lot of fun to be around. We were all happy with the choice. Eric and Cindy were both training for Austin and I for
The months of training have gone well. We ran the IBM 10k in October. This race was a huge success for me. I ran it in 48:12 which was a personal record by 7 minutes. I felt extremely confident after this race. In November, Kiki and I traveled to
A week or two after the half marathon I was hampered with a left hamstring issue. When it became apparent that it was an issue, I immediately went to Advanced Rehab to have some work done. I took a week off from running. I began the process of working through an injury. Weekly I went in for work, daily I did my homework so to speak and worked on the hammy. The TP Massager became my best friend. The hamstring improved with time and I did not miss any runs after taking the week off. Although it improved, it was always there, some weeks were better than others were. A constant reminder that I needed to stay on top of it. Which I did.
The holidays came and went and before I knew it, I was 3 weeks out from marathon day. I knew from the beginning of training that I wanted to do a two-week taper. This lined up well with how our runs and the holidays fell. I had an excellent 18 mile run two weeks out from the marathon. The following week I had another good 10 mile run. The taper worked for me, enough time to recover, but not so much that I went crazy.
Pre-Race:
Kiki and I packed up and drove to
Saturday, slept in, got up and went for an easy run. Started and ended at the finish line for the marathon. Did an out and back. Run felt good. Visualize finishing strong.
Breakfast in the hotel. And then out to drive the course. Glad we did this. Good to get a sense of the course and where we will be running. Back to the expo in the afternoon to see the short film, “Running for my Father.” The film was made by a guy named Cody that I vaguely know from the Runner’s World forums. We actually happened to run into him Friday evening as we were heading out for dinner. It was a pleasure to meet him and we enjoyed his film. Coming back into the hotel from the Expo I ran into Brian Sell, I introduced myself and got to chat with him for a couple of minutes. Great guy. He loves
Caught up with Peter and his wife Elisabeth Saturday afternoon at the expo. Then back to the hotel to rest. That night we went to a dinner with them at Angelo’s. Restaurant which was good, food was great, service was ok. The company was fantastic. We had a great time hanging out with them. Had we not had a marathon to run the next morning I’m sure we could have stayed many more hours. However, we did indeed have to get up the next morning and run.
Race day:
Up at 4am. Ate my usual pre-long run food. Showered, got dressed, all the usual pre-race stuff.
Coach Scott and Cindy drove in from
The race started on time at 7am. We were off.
The first couple of miles we just took it easy, ran with the crowd and got going. The roads were crowded by not terribly so. We had plenty of room to run and most around us were going the same pace. We passed runners when we had to, but we were never dodging or darting through the crowd. This was good. Each wave had marathoners on one road, and half marathoners on a separate road. The two would merge around miles 2 or 3. This definitely helped congestion.
At around mile 3 the 4 hour pacer came running up on us at a quick pace. Someone, Peter I think, asked him what pace he was running. He said he was 40 seconds to a minute behind and needed to catch up. He was running 20 to 30 seconds faster than he should have at that point. The guy was a complete nut. Running with his pacer balloons he looked like a crazy man. We let him go and dropped back. We talked with many of the runners that had been pacing with him and they were pissed. They knew he was going out too fast. We encouraged them to let him go and run their own race. Which they did. I later saw the pacer around mile 20 all alone, dragging ass like a complete idiot.
The first 3 miles we ran easy, then around mile 4 we got into our pace which was a 9:00 minute mile. It felt good. We were cruising. We carried small water bottles with us to avoid the crush of runners at the first water stop. This worked great.
Around mile 7 we hit a water stop and Peter and I got separated. I didn’t know if he was ahead of me or behind me. I thought he was behind, so I took it slow for a couple of minutes after the water stop, but never saw him. I got back into my pace and kept going. Thinking, well this is pretty early in the race to lose each other. Soon though I saw him up ahead and slowly made my way back to him.
Around mile 9 the half marathoners split off from the marathoners to head back to downtown. We had lost Elisabeth around mile 4 as she made a pit stop. She later caught back up to us just before the split. We gave her a cheer on her way back to the finish.
At this point in the race things are feeling good. However, it is warm, it had been humid, and now the sun was coming out. Holding our pace was fine, but you could feel the sun on you and knew that it was going to keep getting warmer. We made the right turn onto
The next 6 miles went by
At mile 15 I hit the porto-potty to relieve myself. It was quick, it was good. Peter kept going, but I eventually caught back up to him.
We got to the Galleria area around mile 16 and again Team Kiki, Cindy, and Scott were there. This time with the water bottles I had requested. They had both water and Gatorade. I took water, Peter took Gatorade. Very much appreciated. They were again cheering loudly. Great to see them.
Through miles 16 to 20 things were decent but getting tougher. We ran up
Around mile 22 again Kiki, Cindy, and Scott were there to cheer us on. They had water if we needed it. At this point I didn’t as I was just running from water stop to water stop. We had 4 miles to go. Just trying to push through.
Now we were onto
One of the things that helped to provide some perspective during the race were the medical aid stations. The stations were placed throughout the course. Near water stops. They had display signs with the current conditions. Around mile 9 the sign read that the conditions were Green Flag. Run as planned. This was in regards to the weather. At mile 20 the sign read Yellow Flag, Heat caution or something to that effect. I thought this was a helpful addition to the race. It let me know that it wasn’t all in my head. That it was hot out. It was also a useful reminder that hydrating was needed.
At some point towards the end of Allen Parkway Peter’s wife was there cheering us on. I never saw her, which is funny as there were not that many people on this section. Apparently she was right there and I just chugged on by. I was getting pretty focused on finishing this thing.
Now into downtown, we’ve got about 1.2 miles to go. Time to push it through to the end. Not looking good for sub 4, but I’m going to try and make it close. It’s funny as at this point in the race 1 mile still seems far. All you want to do is be done. We make the turn onto Rusk and it is a straight shot to the finish. I’ve got a mental marker of a construction crane to know where I’m at, I spotted this on my run on Saturday. It helps. With a few blocks to go I pick up the pace and take it home. The crowds are huge in the last block. Out of the corner of my eye I spot Team Kiki, Cindy, Scott, I give a thumbs up as I push through and finish strong.
I’m done!!
Finish time: 4:01:09 PR by 27 minutes over
One minute later Peter crosses the line. We get some finish line photos and head into the convention center. We are wiped out. Peter is not feeling too good, so he lies down on the ground. He’s hungry. I tell him I’ll get him some food. I head over to the food line and get him some food. Luckily it doesn’t take too long. I get back, give him a plate of eggs, potatoes, and sausage. I eat one sausage. The rest looks extremely unappealing to me. Peter however enjoys it. With Peter feeling a bit better after food, we get our finishers medals, and shirts. We see David and Amy from Rogue and chat with them. We see Daniel from Rogue and talk to him. Then head over to the reunion section where Team Kiki is waiting for us.
It was a tough day, a good day, a hot day.
Goals:
When training for the marathon began in September, my goals for this season of training were targeted towards both running my best time possible in the race and testing myself in training. I wanted to reach a maximum mileage of 55 miles and have several more 50 mile weeks. I wanted to incorporate a weekly medium-long run of 10 miles or more. I wanted to PR in my 10k race and my half marathon race. I also wanted to break four hours in the marathon.
Results:
One week at 55 miles.
Five weeks at 50 miles.
Medium-long runs of 12 miles weekly
10k PR of 58:12
Half
A huge amount of thanks goes to my wife Kiki. She again was a fantastic support crew. Without her help, doing all kinds of little things, food, logistics, etc…it would have been a much tougher weekend. Thanks hon.
Again, Cindy and Scott. Thank you. It was very cool to have y’all there.
Peter, you rock man. You have become a great friend and an excellent running partner. Peter if nothing else is consistent. When we were leaving the expo together on Saturday, with his race packet in hand, he mentioned the fact that after he had run
Senor Eric Cruz we put many many miles in this year. It has been great. I know you will rock it out in
8 comments:
Great race report, Chuck! Enjoy the pictures of the day: http://picasaweb.google.com/cindybraly/HoustonMarathon2009?authkey=b6bUjCN27i8#
Thanks for writing this up... I enjoyed the journey.
For it just being your second marathon, you did outstanding! You may be a tad short on 'A' your goal, but still a phenomenal improvement! A whole minute per mile faster! WOW!!!
Well done!
All those summer miles paid off!
Thanks Cindy. Pics are great.
Thanks Mike. appreciate it.
Nice job, Chuck. I should have been there with you. But I have no regrets.
Allen Parkway s**ks. For the Houston half, it's 3 loops of that sucker. I could feel it in your race report!
See you on the trails!
great work chuck!
Nice report. And congrats on a 27 min PR that is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE!
Duuuude. An excellent season, you had, my friend. Congrats on a great season of training, and on a great race. Beers on me, soon.
Good race report Chuck! You can really be proud of how much dedication and work you have put in to come so far in a year. Way to go!
Post a Comment