Big Sur Half
On Sunday November 9th, 2008 I had the pleasure of joining 6,000 runners on the
The past four months were filled with phone calls and emails with Patrick discussing training, shoes, fueling, and all the necessary details one needs to know when training for a half. It’s been exciting getting the updates on his progress and celebrating his successes as he progressed through his training. Two weeks ago when he called after completing his last long run and longest run ever, 13 miles, he was filled with excitement and confidence as the run had gone well. I was both proud and excited for him. He dedicated himself to his training and was now ready for the race.
My wife Kristin and I flew into
Friday Patrick, Kristin, and I headed down to
Saturday morning slept in a bit, and then headed out for coffee and a short run. Patrick and I did a few miles on the last 2 miles of the course. It was great to get a little run in, although my hamstring was a bit tight and achy and had me slightly worried about Sunday. That afternoon we headed over to the expo again, this time to hear Bart speak. He did a great hour of slides and stories. Afterwards they had a session with the elite runners. We stayed for the session, but it was less than exciting as the elites were not to talkative. We then headed back to the hotel to rest and relax. That evening we went out for a pasta dinner, where Eileen and her brother Patrick, his wife Sam, their daughter Zoe joined us. It was a good time and fun to meet them. Eileen’s brother Patrick was also running the half on Sunday.
On to race day. Up at 5am. The race start was at 7am. A little food, a cup of coffee, a check on the weather. It had rained over night. It was looking to be in the 50’s temp wise and windy. Coming from
Pre-race they had water available, which was nice, and the lines to the porta-potties were not long. We did our thing hanging around, getting excited for the run, wondering if it will ever warm up. About 10 minutes before the start, shed a few layers, stuffed them in a bag, and took them to the clothes drop. The race was setup in waves, based on your predicted finish time. I was in the B wave. Said goodbyes and good lucks to everyone and head to the start. The corrals were packed but I was able to easily squeeze in and find a good spot. Huddling with the many runners was welcome as it was much warmer. The announcer cheered the runners on, the national anthem was sung, and at 7:05am the race started. Each wave went off at 2 minute intervals.
The course starts in downtown
My plan for the race was to take it out easy for the first three miles, see how the hill treated me at mile four, pick up the pace through to 10 miles, and then take it home in the last 3.1 miles. Two minutes after the first wave went off, our B wave was up and we were off as well. Settled into a nice and easy pace and got going. It was crowded as all races are at the beginning so I worked to run my pace and not be to worked up and go out too fast or to try to weave in and out of people. This worked for the most part, but it was also a bit slow. I tried to be patient and remind myself that I wanted to start easy. I was also concerned with how my hamstring would be feeling today. So far, it was fine. My legs felt a bit tight, but not painful. The first mile goes out and back, I came through the first mile at 9:27, and wasn’t too happy. This was slower, by about a minute than I had wanted to start. The combination of a crowded course and tight legs I assumed. I tried to stay patient and just keep running, knowing soon the course will start to thin out. Came through mile two at 8:46 and felt a bit better. In the second mile there was a piano player on the side of the course playing, I have no idea what he was playing, but it just hit me. I do not know why but it just made me a bit emotional. I just felt so good about being there, about being a runner. This is me, this is who I am.
Mile 3 came and I had hit an 8:28 pace. This is where I wanted to be. So now I’m feeling good and ready to keep it cranking. After mile 4 comes the one and only big hill, I was ready for it and kept a good pace. It was a long hill, with a right turn at the top, with a bit more climbing. Crested that and was feeling ready for the downhill to follow. Picked up the pace coming down using gravity to my advantage. At the bottom of this hill was an aid station where I planned to take my first gel. Miles 4 & 5 were 8:21 and 8:34. I was on track and kept it up and over the hill.
We were now out on
Mile 7 was a bit slower around 8:48, not sure why, water stop, or wind or rolling hills. Mile 8 was 8:34. Just prior to the 8 mile mark I saw Eileen’s brother Patrick, he was running strong, we high five’d each other as we were on the out and back portion of the course. Made the turned around after 8 and knew I was heading for home. Time to dig in and keep it going. Mile 9 was an 8:33. Feeling good. Mile 10 was an 8:37. Feeling consistent through here. Hamstring is fine. Legs are tight, but not bad.
I saw my brother Patrick coming the other way, gave him a huge cheer and a high five. Shortly after saw Eileen and cheered her as well. A moment later came upon Kristin who had made the 10 mile turn around point. Said hello and woo hoo, and kept on running. The wind was pretty much at our backs now as we were heading back to town. Probably one of the hardest elements of this race, if you are racing it, is being distracted by the unbelievably gorgeous views. I allowed myself to peek, see the crashing waves, the sea lions, and sea gulls. Only for moments here and there, otherwise I was focused and determined to keep on pace.
At the 11 mile mark I hit an 8:18 pace, feeling good, here is where we make the turn onto the paved hike and bike trail and take it to the finish. Time to pick it up and close the deal. The path was fun to run on, not too crowded, easy running. The only hitch was that they diverted us off the path, down onto Cannery Row, and then back onto the path. It was a slight downhill, and then a gradual incline up Cannery Row, the incline was not welcome. Back on the path and cruising along, hit mile 12 at an 8:11 pace. Feeling good although I’m eager to get to the finish and be done.
The last mile felt like it was all downhill, it was time to close the deal. Felt strong through to the end, although I was spent by now and really, really wanted to be done with running. Crossed the finish line in 1:51:59. Which is a 5 minute and15 second PR for me. Extremely happy.
Post race, the rain started, it was cold. Freezing. Soon Kristin came in. She had a great 10 mile run. I was pleased for her. Soon after that, my brother Patrick was coming in. It was so great to see him finishing his first half marathon. I was screaming and shouting and running along the side of the course cheering him to the end. He had a great run and I’m extremely proud of him. A bit later Eileen finished as well. I had gone out on the course to run a short cool down run, I ran into Eileen and her brother, he was there running her into the finish. I turned and joined them in the last mile of the run. She had a tough day out there battling a knee issue. Nevertheless, she finished.
We hung around the finish line festivities, basking in the glory of the day. Of a job well done. The rain had stopped and soon the sun came out. We found a nearby coffee shop and treated ourselves to a cup of Joe and a little post race conversation. We then walked back to our hotel, ice baths, and to pack up and head back to
The Big Sur Half Marathon is an excellent race. One I would recommend to anyone. It is well organized, has a great expo for a half. Moreover,
I’m feeling positive about my training and racing. I think I have a better feel for running and racing half marathons now. I beat my 3m half time by over 5 minutes, and that is a very fast course. So I feel good about that. I believe I’m inline with where my fitness should be as per my goals for the marathon. I feel like I have a better sense on how to manage a race now. I do believe in effort based racing, it makes sense to me. Although I did need to look at my splits each mile, I think with time I’ll be able to run more by feel than by a stopwatch. In fact in hindsight I think I could have not looked at my watch at all after mile 3 and finished with the same exact time. I was in a groove and pace at that point that I held steady and was able to pick up towards the end. I negative split the course by about a minute or so. I feel great about that. I certainly think I know a bit more today about how to run a half by how I felt that day than I had before. The half marathon is perhaps the perfect distance. Not so long that training and recovery take a significant chunk of your year. However, not so short that you can just go and run all out and finish no matter what. I think more people should run more half marathons, more often. Coincidentally we have one of the best races in
6 comments:
congrats on the PR that is awesome!...your dedication and hard work training is really paying off...and also a huge congrats to your brother on his first half...one of my best friends did her first have this fall as well...i think running is contagious :P
Congrats, Chuck! Great race and great writeup! Woohoo - another major PR!
We missed you this morning at our QW. What do we do without Chuck? :)
Thanks Jess & Cindy. Appreciate it.
Sorry the weather didn't work out better for you guys. I was happy to be curled up in bed when I heard the rain on my window!
Congrats on getting a huge PR despite the weather. You obviously have faster days ahead.
Great report, Chuck. I'm with you on the 1/2 marathon thing. In fact, I'm liking 5K's more every day! After the Houston let's do the Austin half. That should be fun. Congrats again on the PR. You rock!
Run the best race you can on that day.
Damn! You did GREAT! Every teacher wishes for a pupil who pays attention and can apply lessons like you did. I foresee much many more PR's in your future.
Post a Comment